Toad Poisoning in Dogs: What to Do

Dog staring at a toad in someone's hand

Toads are slow-moving, which makes them an easy prey for a variety of predators, including even the tiniest of pups. To compensate for their slowness, many toads are poisonous. That implies that if your dog eats, licks, or chews on a toad, it might become poisoned. While some toads are just unpleasant to eat, others can be fatal to your dog.

Puppies and dogs that live outdoors are most at risk for toad poisoning, especially around dawn or dusk in the warmer months when these amphibians are most active.

Symptoms of Toad Poisoning

Toad poisoning symptoms often appear shortly after exposure. Symptoms vary depending on the kind of toad your dog was playing with. Smaller dogs are more likely to be impacted than larger dogs, and whether or not your dog ate the toad has an impact on the outcome.

You may see some or all of the following symptoms:

  • Lots of drooling or salivation
  • Whimpering, whining, crying, or howling
  • Pawing at the mouth or eyes
  • Change in color of the mucus membranes - they may be pale or inflamed and red
  • Difficulty breathing
  • or anorexia (disinterest in food)
  • Ataxia (moving as if drunk, or unsteady)
  • Seizures or collapse
  • Elevated body temperature

Unfortunately, many of these symptoms are quite similar to other poisoning symptoms. Toad poisoning appears to be quite similar to or on paper. You and your veterinarian will have to work together to diagnose this illness based on symptoms and context cues unless you witnessed the toad (or whatever else made your dog sick).

Not surprisingly, toad poisoning is caused by your dog coming in close contact with a toad. This generally means your dog put the toad in her mouth to play with it or try to eat it.

Poisonous Species of Toads

There are two primary species of toads to be concerned about in the United States. The Colorado River Toad and the Cane Toad are the two species. The Sonoran Desert Toad, commonly known as the Colorado River Toad, may be found in northern Mexico and southern America. In California, this toad is classified endangered.

The Marine Toad or Giant Neotropical Toad is another name for the Cane Toad. These toads may grow up to 24 cm in length and can be found in Texas, Florida, and Oahu. From Fiji to Cuba, the Cane Toad is a widespread invasive species spanning most of the neotropics.

Your dog is unlikely to come into touch with a fatal kind of toad if you live in the northern United States. Having said that, practically all toad species are disgusting to eat! There are certainly additional species to be aware of if you're not in the United States.

Emergency Care if Poison Is Suspected

This, like other poisoning instances, is a serious emergency. Even a huge dog can be killed by one of the toad species described above. Toad poisoning cannot be treated by producing vomiting because tiny quantities of venom are frequently absorbed through mucosal membranes. Unlike in the instance of chocolate poisoning, there is nothing in your dog's stomach to evacuate.

On your way to the hospital, if possible, flush your dog’s mouth and mucous membranes with large amounts of water. Time is of the essence in this case.

Once you've arrived at the veterinarian's office, your veterinarian may do a urinalysis (which may reveal elevated potassium levels), a basic physical examination, and an EKG on your dog (ECG). The rest of the toad poisoning in dogs treatment focuses on keeping the dog comfortable and safe. Your dog will be constantly observed and may be given pain medication, a cold bath, and/or medication to assist stabilize vital signs.

Warning

If you suspect toad poisoning in your dog, it is critical that you take him to the veterinarian cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval cheval Dogs who are taken to the veterinarian within 30 minutes after being exposed to toad poison have a fair prognosis. Otherwise, if you wait too long, your dog is unlikely to survive toad poisoning.

Toad Poisoning Prevention

Toad poisoning is particularly likely in dogs that spend a lot of time outside unattended. During the warmer, wetter months, they are more likely to come into touch with toads, especially at dawn or dusk.

You can protect your dog against toad poisoning by keeping an eye on her when she's outside. Teach her a firm " " command, and be especially cautious around pups or dogs with a high prey drive. If you know your dog will reject your cue and try to pursue or devour anything, your dog should not be permitted to run about freely outside.

You can also reduce the likelihood of toads coming towards your house by keeping your grass short and keeping water sources away from your dog’s favorite corner of the yard.

LEAVE A COMMENT