How and When to Make a Puppy Vomit

Dog playing with toy

Puppies put almost anything in their mouths, from plastic toys to soiled socks. God forbid, clueless pups have been known to ingest hazardous substances like antifreeze, toxic houseplants, and forbidding human food. Inducing vomiting in your puppy after it consumes something harmful might be the first step in saving its life. However, not every circumstance calls for such a dramatic action. Because of this, knowing when not to induce vomiting is just as crucial as knowing how to do it.

When to Induce Vomiting

It's crucial to remember that, even when pups eat poison, forcing them to vomit is not always the best option. It is best to induce vomiting on the advice of a veterinarian or a pet poison control specialist. When poisonous foods or pharmaceuticals are consumed, symptoms might appear right away or take days to manifest. As they linger in the GI tract, metal items like coins can toxicate the body with zinc. Even if it has been some time since a puppy consumed grapes, a toxic food for dogs, or Ibuprofen, a toxic drug for dogs, causing vomiting can still aid in the removal of some of the poison from the digestive system.

Let's say you see a dog swallow something strange, like a pair of panties or a noisy toy. While the object is still in the puppy's stomach, forcing him to puke it up could be the best option. Additionally, if the window of opportunity for ingestion is quite small and you don't see the dirty deed but discover suspicious evidence like a gnawed plant, chocolate candy wrappers, or an open bottle of medicines, it could be a good idea to encourage your puppy to purge. Sometimes, getting involved before a poison or foreign object enters the intestines can make all the difference in the world.

When Not to Induce Vomiting

Some materials and toxins that are ingested might be just as harmful when they are brought back up. Your pet's internal organs can be injured by sharp objects like pins, tacks, shards of glass or plastic, screws, needles, hooks from Christmas decorations, and other pointed objects. Don't wait for your puppy's system to process sharp objects. These offenders require surgical removal by a veterinarian. Take your pet right away to the emergency room.

Other fluid-like substances might result in burns or further harm if they rise again. Batteries that have been chewed or ingested might leak acid, which could result in chemical burns to the stomach and esophagus. If your dog ingested any acids (like bleach or drain cleaning), alkali solutions (like ammonia or laundry detergent), motor oil or gas, paint or paint thinner, or any hazardous houseplant, do not force him to vomit. Call your veterinarian or animal poison control instead as soon as possible.

How to Induce Vomiting

First and foremost, call your veterinarian. It's advisable to consult an expert before attempting to make someone vomit. As the medications your veterinarian has to make your dog vomit are safer and less irritating to a pet's stomach and esophagus, it is often advisable to bring your pup into the clinic to have vomiting induced if you are not too far from your veterinarian. However, if the vet says it's okay and your puppy is aware and you don't have time to travel to the clinic, it's go time. A puppy can be made to vomit up to three hours after ingesting an item or foreign material, but the sooner the better. Be aware, though, that it might not be a good idea to make the dog throw up if they act queasy, feel down, or pass out. If your puppy exhibits these signs, it might ingest the debris while climbing and suffocate.

Before starting to induce vomiting, speak with a veterinary expert to be sure it's the right course of action. Before vomiting, giving a modest amount of food is sometimes (but not always) advised. You shouldn't encourage your dog for eating something it shouldn't, but occasionally dilution with food might delay the poison's absorption. Food can help solid items come back up by providing cushioning and lubrication. Additionally, if a puppy's stomach is overly empty, it may be difficult to induce vomiting.

Next, use an eyedropper or plastic syringe to provide 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to your puppy (without a needle). The peroxide must still be bubbly for it to function. According to your pet's size and general condition, consult your veterinarian to determine how much to feed them. In this situation, a turkey baster or squirt gun also works nicely. Your puppy's lips will froth from the peroxide, which has a bad taste. Puppies often start vomiting after around five minutes with this combo. Ask your veterinarian if you should repeat a dosage or just go on to the next stage of therapy if your puppy doesn't vomit within 15 minutes.

The only home item that should be used to attempt to induce vomiting is hydrogen peroxide. Ipecac and salt syrup has been used in the past to make people throw up, but this is not advised. Ipecac syrup has the potential to harm a dog's heart. Salt toxicity, which can cause the brain to expand, can arise from giving salt.

Call your veterinarian when your pet has finished its meal. Your dog and a sample of the vomit might need to go to the doctor. A veterinarian might recommend an antidote or other follow-up procedures to increase your puppy's chances of surviving.

Preventing poisons or other harmful substances from becoming an issue in the first place is the best method to handle them. To protect your young dog, install childproof locks on cabinets, store sweet treats and medications out of children's reach, and use Christmas decorations.

If you suspect your pet is sick, call your vet immediately. For health-related questions, always consult your veterinarian, as they have examined your pet, know the pet's health history, and can make the best recommendations for your pet.

CITATION

"Bates, Nicola. Zinc Toxosis in Dogs. Companion Animal, vol. 24, no. 2, 2019. doi:10.12968/coan.2019.24.2.102", "Dowling, Patricia M., Drugs to Control or Stimulate Vomiting. Merck Veterinary Manual" ;

LEAVE A COMMENT