Many common houseplants are particularly harmful to parrots and other pet birds, so people who own them should be cautious about what plants they allow in their homes. Toxicity is mostly determined by the plant kind, the bird's size, and the amount of food consumed. A poisoning may swiftly turn lethal, and gastrointestinal distress is a frequent symptom that your bird ate something harmful.
If you think your bird ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or a poison helpline immediately. Of course, prevention is key. Learn to recognize toxic plants, so your bird can stay safe.
01 of 10
Growing amaryllis from seed to flower is a pleasant indoor gardening project, but it puts your pet bird in danger. Birds and other pets are poisoned by the plant, including the bulb. It can cause nausea, diarrhea, anorexia, excessive salivation, and other symptoms if consumed.
02 of 10
Daffodils are cheerful spring flowers, but they can be dangerous for pets. These blooms contain the chemical lycorine, which, depending on the amount consumed, can be extremely dangerous or even fatal. In birds and other animals, it can induce severe gastrointestinal problems as well as convulsions.
03 of 10
Holly makes a lovely Christmas ornament, but the leaves and berries are deadly to birds. Because the berries may appear to be a pleasant feast for many birds, use fake holly in your Christmas decorations to keep your pet safe and healthy.
04 of 10
Many homes have lush, green ivy as a décor. While it adds a lovely touch to a space, certain species of ivy, particularly typical English ivy, can be fatal to any pet birds you have. It can produce hypersalivation as well as gastrointestinal difficulties like vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.Continue to 5 of 10 below.
05 of 10
Lilies come in a variety of colors and shapes, all of which are attractive and popular in flower arrangements. However, any lilies, including peace lilies, should be removed from locations where birds live. Lillies can cause severe oral irritation, excessive salivation, and gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting in birds.
06 of 10
Mistletoe, another favorite holiday plant, is similarly poisonous to pets. If birds eat any portion of the plant, they might experience mild to moderate gastrointestinal distress, including vomiting, diarrhea, weakness/depression, and anorexia.
07 of 10
The lovely blossoms of this popular vine are lovely to look at, but they represent a major health risk to your beloved bird. Morning glory seeds contain a deadly toxin akin to LSD, so be cautious when purchasing them for planting.
08 of 10
Philodendrons are ubiquitous houseplants with lush foliage that may give your home a jungle feel, but they're not suitable for birds. Toxic in all parts, the plant can cause significant oral irritation, trouble swallowing and breathing, and vomiting, among other symptoms. It can also cause coma and death if consumed in high doses.Continue to 9 of 10 below.
09 of 10
These lovely plants are frequently the focal point of holiday celebrations. If you have birds, though, you may want to choose a less dangerous ornament. Poinsettias are toxic to birds, causing gastrointestinal disorders, blistering, excessive salivation, skin irritation, and other major health issues, but they can also harm other pets and people.
10 of 10
You might believe that having a shamrock plant in your house will bring you luck, but not for your bird. Birds, as well as cats, dogs, and other animals, are severely hazardous to these houseplants. Tremors and excessive salivation are among the health problems they might cause.